Monday, November 4, 2013

I'm Singing in the Rain!

Backstage of
Singing in the Rain
2013
Backstage of
Singing in the Rain
2013
At the beginning of the semester, I signed up to take lab hours at UC's College Conservatory of Music's  Makeup and Wig Design program.  The class requires that I work a minimum of three hours every Friday and crew a show at CCM at some point during the semester.  About a month ago, one of the girls in the Makeup and Wig Design program asked if I was available to crew the musical Singing in the Rain.  I was beyond thrilled as this was a musical I grew up watching and knew it by heart.  

I have just finished the 10 day experience of crewing a show at CCM.  I had one of the most enjoyable experiences I could have ever hoped for! Everyone I met and worked with was so kind and helpful, from the cast to the other students backstage.  I was responsible for wig and hairstyling of eight cast members of the ensemble, four girls and four guys.  I did not do makeup because I have not been trained at CCM and the ensemble cast typically does their own makeup.

The process for girls required pin curling and wrapping their hair, setting the wig cap, pinning on the element (microphone), placing the wig and setting it with wig pins.  In addition, I had to add a headband and set their fake eyelashes.  Below is one of the girls that I worked on.

Female ensemble member, Hannah
Singing in the Rain
2013
The process for the boys required far less and wasn't as time consuming but was still a challenge.  I had to spray down their hair, add the gel Groom & Clean (which makes the hairspray can slip out of your hands), clip in the element, comb their hair to follow their natural part, styled for the correct time period while covering the element and then hairspray the heck out of it.  Below is one of the boys I worked on.

Male ensemble member, Chris
Singing in the Rain
2013

I had to do this every night for over a week.  I had never pin curled, wrapped or styled hair before and I was very slow the first few nights.  The girls in the makeup program suggested I don't converse with the cast as much to help speed things up.  I felt bad because I wanted to be polite and get to know everyone but, sure enough, once I cut out some conversation I was on time by the third night.  

During the show, I was responsible for multiple wig changes, one makeup removal and assisting with a couple of costume changes.  The adrenaline rush was ridiculous every night as I participated in and observed quick changes.  The shortest one I assisted in was about 20 seconds in which the lead had to change his entire outfit and a wig.  The costume students deserve major respect for what they go through each show-costume changes are ridiculously intense.  When I had down time, I was able to watch the performance from the sides of backstage and I never tired of watching.  I made several new friends in a variety of majors while backstage and in the makeup shop; none of them could tell that I wasn't in CCM and that I was a senior in DAAP!  The atmosphere was just so artistic and inspiring, filled with positive energy. I even found an idea for a new piece for advanced sculpture related to my thesis!  I cannot wait to apply to the Makeup and Wig Design program at CCM!

Here are some more pictures of my wonderful time at CCM:

Nate (as the sugar daddy in the first two scenes) and I before
the last performance.

Tyler (my favorite to style because he always got so
excited about the swoop) and I down in the makeup shop.

Here is a link to a site that will lead to multiple views of the show:

http://ccmpr.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/its-a-smash-rave-reviews-for-ccms-singin-in-the-rain/

No comments:

Post a Comment