Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Poor Unfortunate Souls

This past weekend, I was given the opportunity to once again assist with an Indian Hill School musical.  This time, it was the middle school's production of Disney's The Little Mermaid and I had the chance to apply Ursula's makeup.  I was asked by Robin, the mom of the 8th grader playing Ursula if I was available to do the show.  Robin had worked with me on Pirates of Penzance and they were looking for one person to be dedicated to doing Ursula's makeup and she thought she'd see if I was willing to help.  Of course, the answer was a huge yes!

Immediately I began contemplating how I was going to pull this off.  I asked what hue the director wanted Ursula to be, such as purple, blue, green, etc.  Robin told me they wanted Ursula to look just like the one on Broadway; The Ursula in this video:

(To watch the makeup application, fast forward to 3:16.)

Once again, I thought to myself, "Challenge accepted." After watching the Broadway youtube video multiple times and a sketch that was essentially a map of Ursula's makeup, I felt a bit more ready than I did for Pirates.  My stomach wasn't in knots, but I was definitely anxious - but a happy kind!  Having no professional training and still making choices based on common sense and my personal knowledge of makeup, I began the application with my own personal makeup palettes and some makeup I bought at Target.  Basically, nothing fancy.  I started the base with some white foundation the makeup chair got from a Halloween store, but it wasn't blending easily and clearly wasn't going to work so I had Nella (Ursula) wash that off and we started over with normal liquid foundation. This approach made me nervous but I had hope. After the foundation, I applied a layer of pale shimmery eyeshadow.  It was meant to be, this combination gave Nella the perfect translucent glow of Ursula's skin.  After that, the rest was smooth sailing.

An In Depth Steps of Makeup Application for Ursula:
1.) Apply a layer of foundation with a makeup pad to the face and neck
2.) Using a large makeup brush, apply a white shimmery eyeshadow to the face and neck
3.) Apply teal eyeshadow accents to the temples, cheek bones, chin, nose, neck and inside corners of both eyes using a small brush.
4.) Apply black eyeshadow at the inside corner of the eyes and the outside edges of the eyes, fading as the meet in the middle, leaving the center of the eyelid plain.
5.) Add blue eyeshadow to the center area of the eyelid blending into the black, then create a vertical line down the center of the eyelid with green eyeshadow and then add yellow on top of that.
6.) Using a small eyeliner brush and liquid eyeliner, paint eyebrows above the actual eyebrows on the lower part of the forehead.
7.) Apply with a small brush purple and pink eyeshadow above the black eyeshadow, covering up the real eyebrows, blend evenly.
8.) Apply thin liquid eye liner to top lid.
9.) Use white eyeliner pencil and apply to the lower eyelid and brush white eyeshadow on top of that.
10.) Now add thin liquid eyeliner to bottom eyelid
11.) Option to apply a beauty mark with the same supplies used to create the eyebrows.
12.) Put on red lipstick and then use the black liquid eyeliner and brush used for the eyebrows to outline the lips and create a better shape of the mouth.
13.) Apply liquid sparkly, silver eyeliner to top of eyelids right above the eyelashes.
14.) Brush on a silver sparkle eyeshadow to the temples and cheeks.
15.) After costume and wig is adorned, apply foundation to the chest, back and arm area that is exposed.
16.) Brush on the shimmery eyeshadow to the areas you just applied foundation to with a large brush.
17.) Add teal eyeshadow accents to the collar bone, back, both elbow creases and elbow joints.

The before, the in-between and the after
Selected photos from the makeup process for Ursula
You may notice that I drew Ursula's eyebrows above Nella's.  A very exciting outcome of this choice was that when Nella made expressions with her own eyebrows, Ursula's eyebrows moved as well.  This was another fantastic experience with makeup and an Indian Hill school theater group.  This makeup and photos are from the second dress rehearsal.  By the last show, Nella and I had a perfect system of application down. I would also like to state that Ursula required more application time than the Pirate King and Major General combined, I think.  I am sad that it is over but I look forward to the next show with Indian Hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment