Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Artist of the Month #2

This month the artist is one of my absolute favorites: Vincent Van Gogh.  I love Van Gogh so much that I have three posters of his paintings displayed on the two walls next to my bed.


I remember falling in love with Van Gogh's Starry Night many years ago when I first saw it in my middle school art text book. His unique impasto style brush strokes and intriguing color palette are what first caught my eye.  But the artwork that stole my heart and won me over as a true Van Gogh fan is 
Skull with Cigarette, 1885


On my first school trip to NYC, I was fortunate enough to see Starry Night at the MOMA, in person, with my very own eyes! I was stunned! I walked around the corner and saw it hanging alone on a small wall in the center of the room surrounded by other works of art.  I didn't believe my eyes that this was truly Van Gogh's Starry Night until I confirmed from a friend that I wasn't seeing things! As I walked closer to get a better look and take it all in, I almost cried.  I was honestly surprised by its size, I had expected it to be much larger. All in all, it was magnificent and the experience of seeing this masterpiece in person was unforgettable.

If you want to gain a better understanding of Van Gogh, in a fictional but possibly very accurate way, I recommend watching episode 10 of season 5 of the Doctor Who series.  In this episode, the characters travel back in time and meet Vincent Van Gogh.  There are some fictional additions, of course, but ultimately you gain a sense of Van Gogh's life and personality.  Watching this made me feel a stronger connection to one of the world's most influential artist.  Below is a link to the best clip from the entire episode. Enjoy!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/videos/vincent-van-gogh-visits-the-museum/


No comments:

Post a Comment