Saturday, February 15, 2014

Foundry Returns!


I am pleased to report that I am taking Foundry for the third time in my undergrad career!  Taught once again by the adorable Farron Allen!  I am so in love with this class and I cannot contain my excitement for the pieces I am working on.  I feel like the past two classes projects I made have been preparation for this final semester and will bring my best work forth!
Wax bird skull
(in progress)

My pieces are built off of my thesis of illusions of the human figure.  A male and a female bust made of aluminum with part of their faces "torn away" to show a bird skull (male) and a deer skull (female) made of bronze.  I plan to use patinas in the natural shadows of the figures and to buff and polish the metals in the natural highlights.

Wax bird skull venting system
Prep for investment
Up to this point, I have the bronze skulls and am working on the wax parts for the aluminum pour.  I have never done a project with both metals before.  Due to aluminum being at a lower melting point then bronze, it is possible to pour aluminum on top of bronze, thus creating a two metaled work of art.  I observed a friend do this my sophomore year with some of this pieces.  I chose to make the skin of the figures out of aluminum because it is less expensive and is a lighter material.  Overall, both of these pieces will be rather heavy due to the size and the bronze that will be encased inside (each of the skulls weigh about 8 lbs currently).
Wax deer skull venting system
Prep for investment
I was very pleased with how successful my pieces turn out because if the skulls didn't come through then my whole project would be scrapped.  Fortunately, after a very messy class of breaking open the molds, I was able to see my hard work come to fruition.  I swear, on the day we open our molds after the aluminum pour, I am going to be like a parent watching their kid drive for the first time... a total nervous wreck.  
I don't know if you can tell from this photo, but my eyelashes were white with investment dust.  Every time I moved, white particles would fall off of me like snow. 

Cleaned up (some) and ready to be installed in some wax!
The wax busts look pretty awful at the moment so that is why there are no pictures of my progress.  But since the next pour process begins this coming Tuesday, the wait won't be long.  This is a true test of my skills as an artist and craftswoman in foundry.


No comments:

Post a Comment