Friday, October 11, 2013

Reactions

This past week, I have found myself stuck in a creative rut, if you will.  I am currently working on multiple sculpture pieces at the same time, this is new for me.  I rarely work on more than two pieces at the same time.  It is quite the challenge.  But two nights ago, I remembered a video of a performance piece I watched last year in Figure Sculpture. This is the video:



Instantly I was set with inspiration!  With my future career focused on makeup, this piece had far more significance to me now than it did a year ago.  I grabbed some clay, called up a friend, set up a photography studio in my apartment and here are the results.  My reaction piece.


Before
Model: Nancy Pickard


Clay Reacts
Part I


Clay Reacts
Part II


Clay Reacts
Part III

Clay Reacts
Part IV

Clay Reacts
Part V

Clay Reacts
Part VI
Rather than mimic Sagazan's sculptural element like in his performance, I treated the clay as a makeup product.  I used only one layer of clay that I darkened with water or additional clay.  I am pleased with the contrast in color between her eyes and hair with the clay and skin.  I was fascinated how childlike Nancy looked after I covered up her eyebrows.  The element of makeup, even though I used clay, and the transformative properties it holds never cease to amaze me.



No comments:

Post a Comment